In the heart of the Ogwen Valley with superb views of Tryfan, Helyg is steeped in the history of British climbing. It was our first climbing hut and was used as a base by the pioneers of British climbing in the 1920’s for their early ascents, particularly on LLiwedd and Tryfan. Later it was used as a training base for the 1953 Everest expedition.
(or click a marker to set)
- Grid ref: SH 691 601
- Post Code:LL24 0EU
- Lat/Lon: 53
°07’19 N – 3
- Accommodation for 13, the whole hut may be booked by members or outside parties. No Camping.
- External parties may book places or the full hut; there are no places reserved exclusively for members.
- Bookable Rooms: Members may book whole hut for parties containing under 18′s.
- No pets allowed in the hut
Custodian: Cenydd Lewis – eMail Custodian
To notify the custodian of maintenance issues use Contact Form.
Hut Booking: Click to view Calendar and Book
The Hut is preserved in as near to its original form as possible to retain the authentic atmosphere of those early times.
- Key to the car park barrier is in box on garage door openable with blue fob. Please do not slam the box door, because this can loosen the batteries. You can avoid slamming by using your fob again if necessary.
- In the event of a power cut, contact Manweb Scottish Power and advise the Custodian.
- If the water supply fails, the water tank is across the road, up and slightly right from the kissing gate. Clean the filter in a small box on the inlet pipe above and left of the main tank. (Warning. Do not approach diagonally from the garage / car park area because of a dangerous floating bog.)
- Put rubbish in the large wheelie bin by the car park barrier. All rubbish must be contained in a black bag, no loose litter.