Located in the woods below Froggatt Edge, The Downes Hut is an ideal base for climbing on the gritstone edges. It is within easy walk of Froggatt Edge itself.
Recently redocorated and improved. Previously completely refurbished with the aid of a grant from the National Lottery/English Sports Council, this hut now offers comfortable, dry accommodation in the heart of the Peak District and within easy distance of many of the Peak crags, and now has limited facilities for disabled users.
(or click a marker to set)
- Grid ref: SK 249 772
- Postcode: S32 3ZJ (Chequers Inn – Hut 1km further north)
- Lat/Lon: 53
°17’28 N – 1
- Situated on the west side of the A625, 1km north of the Chequers Inn. There is a reflective name plate at the head of the driveway, easily seen when approaching from the south. If arriving from the North (Sheffield direction) drivers should be aware that a tight right-turn is required to enter the drive without making a three-point turn. If in any doubt and particularly at night or in poor visibility it is recommended that drivers continue 1km to the Chequers Inn and make a U turn there.
- Accommodation: for 21 (10 in back dorm. 11 in front dorm.) Outside booking parties and kindred club members may only occupy the back dorm. Front dorm is restricted to members and their guests. Limited camping available – there is space for 3 or possibly 4 small mountain tents.
- Family of members who are under 18 are able to sleep in rooms with other members as long as their responsible adult is with them on Sunday-Thursday nights ONLY. Members with under 18′s may also camp and use the hut facilities at any time.
- Disabled Access: There is space for an ambulatory disabled persons by former agreement with the Hut Booking Secretary.
- Please ensure that all windows are closed before leaving the hut.
- No pets allowed in the hut
Custodian: Graham Titterton (Assistant Dennis Ibbotson)– eMail Custodian
To notify the custodian of maintenance issues use Contact Form.
Hut Booking: Click to view Calendar and Book
- Cooking on 2 halogen hobs and electric oven.
- All non-recyclable refuse to be placed in black bin liners and left in green bin at the top of drive. Collection day Monday.
- All recyclable items to be taken home or to local facilities – details in hut.
- Access to Froggatt crag is via the footpath up the wooded slope directly opposite the hut drive.
- There is a small BBQ – take your own charcoal and dispose the ashes with care.