Below is a Google Maps map, use the controls on the left to zoom (+ and -) and pan (left, up, right, down and back to the starting position). The use of this map was suggested & initially developed by Peter Sterling.
Click on a marker to check out that hut - Climbers' Club Huts: Reciprocal Rights Huts (Login required):
Panel Below Shows Latitude and Longitude where you click on the map.
|Last Clicked Location >>>|
|CLIMBERS' CLUB HUT - PEAK DISTRICT||Click to view Reciprocal Rights Huts in Peak District (Login required)|
• Grid ref SK 249 772 • Postcode S32 3ZJ (Chequers Inn)
• Situated on the west side of the A625, 1km north of the Chequers Inn. There is a reflective name plate at the head of the driveway, easily seen when approaching from the south. If arriving from the North (Sheffield direction) drivers should be aware that a tight right-turn is required to enter the drive without making a three-point turn. If in any doubt and particularly at night or in poor visibility it is recommended that drivers continue 1km to the Chequers Inn and make a U turn there.
• Accommodation for 21; non-member parties may only occupy back bedroom. External parties may only book on 2nd and 4th weekends of the month; on other weekends the hut will be for members only. Limited camping available - There is space for 2 or possibly 3 mountain tents.
• Bookable Rooms: Members may book back room on 2nd & 4th weekend of each month only if party contains under 18's
• Health and Safety Whenever the hut is occupied sufficient window bars MUST be removed to allow escape through the window openings in case of fire. There are keys next to each window to facilitate this. Please ensure that the bars are replaced before leaving the hut.
• Custodian: Rod Hewing and Dennis Ibbotson
Images by Rod Hewing
Located in the woods below Froggatt Edge, The Downes Hut is an ideal base for climbing on the gritstone edges. It is within easy walk of Froggatt Edge itself.
Recently redocorated and improved. Previously completely refurbished with the aid of a grant from the National Lottery/English Sports Council, this hut now offers comfortable, dry accommodation in the heart of the Peak District and within easy distance of many of the Peak crags, and now has limited facilities for disabled users.
Cooking on 2 halogen hobs and electric oven.
All non-recyclable refuse to be placed in black bin liners and left in green bin at the top of drive. Collection day Thursday.
All recyclable items to be taken home or to local facilities - details in hut.
Access to Froggatt crag is via the footpath up the wooded slope directly opposite the hut drive.
There is a small BBQ - take your own charcoal and dispose the ashes with care.