Below is a Google Maps map, use the controls on the left to zoom (+ and -) and pan (left, up, right, down and back to the starting position). The use of this map was suggested & initially developed by Peter Sterling.
Click on a marker to check out that hut - Climbers' Club Huts: Reciprocal Rights Huts (Login required):
Panel Below Shows Latitude and Longitude where you click on the map.
|Last Clicked Location >>>|
|CLIMBERS' CLUB HUT - LAKES||Click to view Reciprocal Rights Huts in Lakes (Login required)|
• Grid ref NY 251 176
• Situated in the village of Grange, on a minor road off the B5289 from Keswick, ¾ mile after The Borrowdale Hotel turn R over the bridge into Grange. Go past the two cafes and about 150 metres after the second one the road turns right back towards Keswick, the old school is on the bend, directly in front of you.
To avoid Keswick, continue west on the A66 past Keswick and take the exit signed for Grange and Portinscale. Follow the scenic but narrow road (keeping L at junctions, which are signed for Grange). On entering Grange the hut is on the RHS immediately before the L turn in the road.
Access to the parking area through the timber gate on the left of the building. An electronic lock is fitted to the right hand of the two entrance doors.
• Accommodation for 12 in two bunkrooms accommodating
3 and 9. Currently restricted to CC members, with three guests per. Up to 6 camping pitches allowed.
• Bookable Rooms: Members may book smaller (4-5 bed) dorm only if party contains under 18's
• Custodian: Roger Withers
• Other information: Refuse Bin by gate. Refuse is collected once per month; please do not overfill the bin. Recycling facilities in Keswick.
Nearest pubs etc Rosthwaite - just over 1 mile south, accessible on foot by B5289 or footpath on Grange side of river (though woods; take torch)Borrowdale Hotel - under 1 mile north on B5289; expensive but very close to: Shepherd’s Café – immediately in front of Shepherd’s Crag and very inexpensive; extremely popular with climbers but closed over winter.
Shops – PO/papers/small general store at Rosthwaite. Otherwise every facility in Keswick.
|Images by Stuart Holmes|
We have a lease until September 2010 and our prospects of extending it probably depend on us being good neighbours. So please keep noise down late at night and early morning.
The School was built around 1890 and the last classes were held in 1935. Built of local stone with a fine Lakeland slate roof the bell still hangs on the gable end wall perhaps ready to summon climbers back from the crags rather than the kids to lessons. We understand that one of the last pupils still lives in the area and we hope to display some early photos of the school in the hut shortly. Since closing as a school the building has been used for various community purposes, a meeting hall, visiting school groups etc. and is owned by the local church.